Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Virgin Festival

As I had previously mentioned, I spent my weekend in the beautiful state of Maryland. Actually Baltimore, to be specific, a city famous for its crabs (and various other STD's), but that's not why I was there. I was there for the second annual Virgin Festival at Pimlico Race Course, or as I like to call it, "Bonnaroo-Lite." Having missed actual the actual Bonnaroo this summer, I was able to get my sweaty-dirty-music-experience fix by going to other, smaller fests, and this one was about as close as I got to the real thing. It was two days of heat, booze, and cattle-like crowds, featuring staggeringly overpriced burritos and people in body paint, and of course, an abundance of varying musical acts, highlighted by the Police, the Beastie Boys, Wu Tang Clan, a crack-ish looking Amy Winehouse, and a quirky, upbeat Regina Spektor. As is the case with many a-festival, scheduling conflicts naturally arose among competing artist sets, so I didn't see everybody I had hoped. I missed the Smashing Pumpkins, Interpol, Matisyahu, and Modest Mouse, but sacrifices always have to be made, and hopefully I'll get the chance to see those bands again in the near future. As for right now, I'm not losing any sleep over it. In fact, as a direct result of my two days out of town, where I placed more emphasis on rocking out and drinking Miller High Life than catching up on Z's, I'd say sleep is going to be the one thing I do most during the ever-important recovery period this week. But in the meantime, feel free to scope some of my pics from the weekend below. Some of them came out nicely and some of them are just ok (click on the pictures to view enlarged versions).

TV On The Radio

Regina Spektor

Wu Tang Clan

Cheap Trick

Amy Winehouse

Ben Harper

The Police

Beastie Boys

Peter, Bjorn and John

Spoon

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The headliners have been announced for Virgin Fest coming to Pimlico Race Course August 9 & 10. Kanye West, Foo Fighters, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, and Jack Johnson are just a few of the bands that will be there. Visit Baltimore.org/packages for great deals to stay in Baltimore.

Unknown said...

The lineup has been announced for Virgin Fest coming to Pimlico Race Course August 9 & 10. With headliners including Kanye West, Foo Fighters, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, and Jack Johnson and bands including Bloc party, Cat power, The offspring, Wilco, The Swell Season, Paramore, Citizen Cope, Duffy, Gogol Bordello, KT Tunstall, Lupe Fiasco, Rodrigo & Gabriela, Sharon Jones, Lil Wayne and more you won’t want to miss it!
Visit http://www.virginmobilefestival.com/#/home/ for details.
Check out Baltimore.org/packages for great deals to stay in Baltimore.