Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Upside of John From Cincinnati


As my interest in HBO's new series John From Cincinnati began to wane, after the first few episodes or so, I realized that, despite my tepid feelings for the show itself, there was one definite bright spot. No, I'm not talking about the reemergence of Luke Perry's acting career (although he might beg to differ on that). I'm talking about the theme song, "Johnny Appleseed" by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, which I had never heard prior to seeing John From Cincinnati. And while I'll admit the show hasn't turned out to be my cup of tea (not enough, if any, likeable characters, strange, sci-fi-ish plot twists that seem to lead nowhere in particular, etc.), they had a decent enough shot at hooking me based on theme song alone. Basically, this is just another reminder why Joe Strummer is one of the great rock frontmen of all time, and why, for such a long time, the Clash really were the only band that mattered.
(courtesy of My Old Kentucky Blog)

No comments: