Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Fionn Regan (Pronounced like "Finn Raygin")


I caught most of Fionn Regan's (pronounced phonetically like "Finn Raygin," or so is my understanding) set at the Xponential Music Festival a couple of weeks ago, but at the time, I didn't think much of it. His music, which I'd describe as smart, subtle Irish folk-pop, in my opinion doesn't lend itself greatly to the summer outdoor music festival scene. It's a bit too slight and quietly contemplative to be fully enjoyed in that type of scenario. However, I've found that in the studio, as on his new album The End of History, Regan's tunes are far more palatable. Check out "Put a Penny in the Slot," a catchy, acoustic number that recalls a young Donovan. Although, on some of his moodier material, particularly the single "Be Good or Be Gone," he reminds me a lot of Damien Rice, that is, when Rice is keeping things simple and not trying to outsmart himself. Anyhow, Regan was recently nominated for the UK's Mercury Award, which doesn't mean jack to most folks on our side of the pond, but over there, it's kind of a big deal. Check out the mp3's posted below, including Regan's cover of one of my personal favorite Beatles tunes, recorded live on BBC radio.

No comments: