Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Better Late than Never: Catching up on The National


I'm almost embarrassed to admit this with the amount of attention I've seen this band receive recently, but up until about a month ago I had never heard of the National. I like to think I've got my finger on the indie-rock pulse, but this time I definitely did not get in on the ground floor. I'll tell you what though, since I've become aware of these guys, I have yet to hear a bad song and their new album Boxer is getting rave reviews. Think Leonard Cohen backed by Joy Division, only everyone is from Brooklyn. That's the best I way I can describe the National's sound. And like I said, from what I've heard, so-far-so-good, shockingly good.
The National - "Mr. November" (mp3)
The National - "Blank Slate" (mp3)
The National - "Fake Empire (mp3)

No comments: